Figs, Figs, & Figs
Fresh, a few alternatives
Fresh fig season is short and I wanted to make sure I posted a few ideas on prepping these little joys when you can get them. Don't be afraid, they are one of the great joys in life.
- 6-9 Fresh figs (Purple or green, whichever look best)
- 1 to 2 oz Goat Cheese - a good zingy flavored goat cheese. I have here a local brand. Not bad at all.
- 6 Pieces of Prosciutto de Parma
- Balsamic reduction - reduce a good quality balsamic, it will make a difference.
- Field greens for garnish
Trim the stems off the figs and slice them through the top vertically. Take each half and slice into 1/3's You can leave them larger if you like, But this allows for more options when serving.
Slice your prosciutto in strips that can easily wrap around each piece of fig.
Now you can start to build your different fig appetizers.
If you have never had fresh figs, I suggest you eat them in this progression to experience the flavor development.
1. Fresh fig, on it's own.
2. Fig piece, little goat cheese, and drizzle of balsamic reduction.
3. Fig piece wrapped in prosciutto strip
4. Fig piece wrapped in prosciutto strip, dollop of goat cheese, and then balsamic drizzle.
Four may seem like a lot, but it can be a delicious combo.
To serve, place the greens on a serving plate, and place your fig concoctions on the greens. Spread dollops of goat cheese over the plate and then drizzle with balsamic reduction.
Please excuse the photography on this post, it was all me. On occasion I have to take things into my own hands to keep up.